Friday, September 7, 2007

transitions...



The end of summer has been coming for quite some time. I've felt it, creeping steadily towards me with the promise of fall activity and motion. I am almost sad to see the slow, sundrenched days leave. I am a person who makes herself busy by nature, but I had just about settled into the languid days where sitting on the porch, or listening to records, constituted the activities of the afternoon.

v. i. 1. to begin or set out, as on a journey or activity. 2. to become active, manifest, or operative; appear, issue forth, or come to life...to set moving, going or acting...to begin work on...beginning of an action, journey, process, etc.


During my recent trip to Chicago, I found this path in the middle of Lincoln Park. It caught my eye, because the asphalt had been picked away to reveal the stone cobbles beneath. Kind of a resistant act toward modernization, I thought, and I loved it. These pictures of the path are perfect for today, which is at the start of a new path in my life. And like this path, it leads forward and, I believe, upward (in whatever existential way that means). Finding myself calm, yet containing such adrenaline, I feel present and alive.
This, I think, is a microcosom of what life is: ever changing, moving, inclining and holding all the hope and excitement that I am willing to recognize.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails