Wednesday, August 5, 2009

coffee enlightenment?


Sitting down to breakfast in a strange house. Well, nothing alarming...I am housesitting. I'm keeping company with two sweet, neurotic dogs and enjoying the exotic delights of cable television and granite countertops.

There is lots of great light in this house, which gets me thinking in several directions. Of course, I think about our new place and how to best harness the light from the east/west facing windows. Alas, no southern ones. This post from Apartment Therapy Europe gave some good pointers, though.

I also got to thinking about light, in terms of consciousness. As a thoroughly non-morning person, I often wake up feeling swallowed in a mental shadow. A large cup of coffee and an hour of slow awakening are my usual requirements for feeling sane and alert. What is it about light that is both comforting and harsh? Why do we use light-metaphors when referring to our mind, our awareness, our quality of engagement with the universe (she was enlightened)? I briefly thought about springing these questions on my students today...but it might be too deep. Or, it might not be.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails