Saturday, June 27, 2009

time and goals and headaches



Last night I watched one of my favorite movies, Before Sunrise, for the like, millionth time. Towards the end of the movie, Ethan Hawke recites lines from a W.H. Auden poem:

But all the clocks in the city
Began to whirr and chime:
'O let not Time deceive you,
You cannot conquer Time.

'In headaches and in worry
Vaguely life leaks away,
And Time will have his fancy
To-morrow or to-day.


I have some time on my hands this evening, and I'm trying to put it to good use. I trapsed up to the bookstore, and now am sitting at a coffee shop, thinking, and attempting to write a bit. I went to plug in my computer at said coffee shop, and slammed my head really hard into a big metal sign that was hanging from the ceiling. Man, I am still seeing bright colors flash!

Maybe it's the bump on my head, or maybe it's the poetry, but I'm contemplating lots of goals...little ones: commenting on some book pages for a friend. Big ones: thinking about going to Europe with the hubs. Meanwhile, the long evening stretches, empty and full at once, and I will try to chip away at these goals.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails