Friday, May 14, 2010

bright and sunshiny

At last. It is bright outside and sunshine has returned. I have to say, these past few days of rain and grey have, after the initial coziness, really worn on me. I am delighted by the blue, blue sky.

This week has been at intervals relaxing, busy, fun, emotional, sickly, bleh, and tipsy. Now, I am ready to regroup for my whirlwind weekend ahead:

Projects

  • Putting together a shower gift for my little sister. (her shower is on SUNDAY!) This is proving to be a feat of creativity, since we are summer-poor, and I want to give her something useful, yet fun and meaningful. So far, I'm trying to figure out a fun way to "style" a set of wineglasses...any suggestions?
  • Planning a few summer "Bits and Bobs" to work on in the home; framing some pics, scouting out a bedskirt (and maybe awesome antique headboard?), purchasing a potato masher, etc.
  • Getting ready for our "Staycation"--I'm dogsitting for a friend next week, and the hubs and I are turning it into a mini-break to help us wind down from the semester. 
  • Class-planning: yep, already starting to think-through revisions for fall...and the Summer Incentive Program! (yikes, better get to it!)
Thinking
...about community. With Mand's shower coming up, along with the various social functions we're now free to attend-no grading or writing or studio time tying us down-I'm reminded of just how important our community is. We are blessed to have great friends and good bosses and awesome colleagues and loving families. At times, it's challenging to be in relationship with other human beings; they're not perfect, neither am I, so we grate against each other, like hard italian cheese and a microplane. 

At times, my family (whom I adore) just gets right up my nose--ugh! So frustrating! So annoying! So just-like-me-it-hurts! But, at the end of the day, they are also the ones who know me best...and love me best. They are related to me by human blood...and by Divine blood, as I count in this category that crazy, rag-tag bunch of wierdos that I see every week to talk and pray and worship Jesus together. 

My friends, too, are sometimes a big investment (of time, of energy, or even just of patience), but they are also the ones that I can count on. They are the ones who say nice things about my book, and offer to read it if I need feedback. They are the ones who come to my house for brunch, or morning yoga, or catch a bus into town to attend important functions with me. They are the ones that I can be honest with, be encouraged by, and just "be" with. 

Then, there's my bosses, and my colleagues at the university, who sometimes are strange and awkward. Mostly, though, they make me excited to drive into work every day, they stimulate my thinking and collaborate beautifully on really cool, cutting edge projects that push our field forward. 


Community is such a buzzword lately. It's all about community organizing and "being in community". As always, I get to the point where I have to think through the buzzwords and ask myself "what the hell does that even mean?" So, this is what I'm thinking about lately.

Reading
Well, I finished Inkheart (very satisfying) and am working "diligently" on Prose and Sontag. To my delight, though, I've discovered another dear friend is joining the blogging community! Natalie's blog is up and running, and she's all about poetry and thoughts and cool insights that may-or-may-not be distracting her from her Master's project:) Go check it out and get in on the conversation!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails