Tuesday, May 25, 2010

summer kicks off

I feel like it is officially summer now. I don't know why. I mean, I've been on break from school for about a month, it's been (relatively) warm and sunny, but somehow this week is the week. I'm officially on summer vacation!

Summer kicked off for us with what we called our "staycation", which just means we house-sat for some friends who live a couple of cities south of us, and treated it like a vacay. Cheap, easy, and surprisingly refreshing. It was a great way for the hubs and I to connect after our stressful semesters.

During our staycation, I also continued my journey to learn about famous summer music festivals of the late 1960s. This is the hubs' mission for me: that I be educated in the ways of classic rock n' roll to a level I never thought possible. So, I finally saw the Woodstock documentary.


And, let me tell you, I surprised myself by how patiently I sat and watched.  The music was pretty cool. My favorite acts were Richie Havens opening, Crosby Stills and Nash being pitch-perfect at they're second show together, Sly and the Family rocking the party, and Santana (who I didn't recognize until he started playing his guitar, and I was like, oh THAT Santana?!). The continuous flow of naked teenagers talking about freedom and peace did, however, make me throw up in my mouth a little. I have enough of a cynical nature for that

Still, it was interesting to see more of this famous summer music festival that turned into a history-making  event that could never be recreated. It made me want to listen to more Jimi Hendrix this summer, and go camping. But no skinny dipping. Probably. 

3 comments:

jamica said...

you are hilarious! i love that jacob has a quest for you concerning rock-n-roll!
anywho...i'm all about jimi hendrix and some camping!!!!! we need to get our record player set up so i can listen to our jimi albums.

Natalie said...

weird. i was just JAMMING to santana today and talking about how i would would give me left earlobe to be there. xoxo

nic said...

you ladies have excellent taste in music, for sure.
I heart you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails